Information supplied by Wiki
Ajax Cape Town (Afrikaans: Ajax Kaapstad) is a South African football club based in the Parow suburb of the city of Cape Town that plays in the Premier Soccer League. Dutch Eredivisie club AFC Ajax is the parent club and acts as the majority shareholder.
Ajax Cape Town was formed in 1999 by Rob Moore and John Comitis via the amalgamation of two Cape Town-based teams, Seven Stars and Cape Town Spurs, as AFC Ajax expanded their worldwide talent-feeder network to South Africa.
Ajax, nicknamed Urban Warriors, played their first official game against Kaizer Chiefs in the Iwisa Charity Spectacular on 17 July 1999. Ajax caused an upset when they beat Chiefs 1–0 with Sam Pam, the Ajax Cape Town captain, scoring the winning goal.
Former South Africa national team coach Gordon Igesund, the country’s most successful club coach, who won league titles with Manning Rangers, Orlando Pirates, Santos and Sundowns, coached the club from 2002 until 2006.
Since coming into existence, Ajax has never won the league title with their highest finish being runners-up in 2003–04 and 2011–12. Ajax managed to win the Rothmans Cup in 2000, the Nedbank Cup in 2007 and most recently the Telkom Knockout in 2008.
In July 2013, following an abysmal 2012–13 campaign which saw Ajax Cape Town going through four managerial changes and just nearly escaping relegation, it was announced that George and John Comitis, longtime shareholders of the club, had sold their shares of the club back to AFC Ajax and that George would step down as the chairman of the club. Ari Efstathiou was announced as the new chairman, and Muhsin Ertuğral was reinstated as manager of the club, following an interim managerial period after originally being hired as the clubs new technical director.
In September 2015, Ajax won the 2015 MTN8 tournament edging Kaizer Chiefs 1–0 in the final.
With the introduction of the Ajax Cape Town Community Scheme in conjunction with the South African Police Services, Ajax CT also provides football opportunities to young people within the greater Cape Town area regardless of race, gender, social status or disability, facilitated through structured programs in a safe and fun learning environment.Since the inception of the club from its merger under Rob Moore, Ajax Cape Town have imported the AFC Ajax philosophy and effective youth development schemes in the Western Cape. The majority of the senior squad players have come up from the club’s own youth ranks, such as the likes of Nazeer Allie, Granwald Scott and Thulani Hlatshwayo, while others such as Steven Pienaar and Thulani Serero have moved on to some of the top clubs in Europe.
Since then the Ajax Cape Town Community Scheme has been implemented in more than 120 schools across the Western Cape as far as the Cape Winelands, reaching more than 8 000 children.
List of Ajax Cape Town managers
- Leo van Veen (1999–00)
- Henk Bodewes (2000)
- Steve Haupt (2000–01, interim)
- Rob McDonald (2001–02)
- Gordon Igesund (2002–06)
- Muhsin Ertuğral (2006–07)
- Craig Rosslee (2007–09)
- Muhsin Ertuğral and Jan Pruijn (2009, interim)
- Foppe De Haan (2009–11)
- Maarten Stekelenburg (2011–12)
- Wilfred Mugeyi and Jan Pruijn (2012, interim)
- Jan Versleijen and Muhsin Ertuğral (2013, interim)
- Muhsin Ertuğral (2013–14)
- Ian Taylor (2014, interim)
- Roger De Sá (2014–)
- MTN 8: 1
- Winners: 2015
- Winners: 2000, 2008
- ABSA Cup: 1
- Winners: 2007
- Mangaung Cup: 2
- Winners: 2007, 2008
- Most starts: Brett Evans 311
- Most goals: Thembinkosi Fanteni 42
- Most capped player: Edelbert Dinha
- Most starts in a season: Edelbert Dinha 41 (2000/01)
- Most goals in a season: Mabhuti Khenyeza 23 (2008/09)
- Record Victory: 5–1 vs Moroka Swallows (19/2/06, PSL); vs Mount Cameroon FC (26/4/08, CAF Confederation Cup)
- Record defeat: 0–6 v Orlando Pirates (22/9/04, PSL); vs Golden Arrows (24/10/09, MTN 8)
Club officials/Technical team
- Chief executive officer: Ari Efstathiou
- General manager of football: Maximilian Grünewald
- Head coach: Roger De Sá
- Assistant coach: Roger Links
- Goalkeeper coach: Andre Petim
- Multichoice Diski Challenge team coach: Vladislav Heric
- ABC Motsepe team coach: Roberto Santo
- Head of scouting: Sergio dos Santos